Saturday, September 24, 2011

Street Walker

Stanley keeps a very interesting schedule these days.  He sleeps like a log and acts like a complete angel during normal business hours when family and guests come over, eliciting reactions like "he is such a precious little baby!" and "what a darling."

While we don't dispute these claims, what the others don't see is that Stanley is quite a fussy little guy between the witching hours of 8pm-2am when he refused to sleep, sit still or not cry.  The only solution we have found is for one of us (usually me) to stay up through these hours with him, rocking and walking him.  This seems to keep him quiet, but it can get pretty boring.  So, I have taken to going outside for little walks with Stanley in a sling during these times.  I can walk around, watch the fire trucks come and go, have a beer and read a book (by the light of a headlamp).  I am fully aware that this looks completely weird and sketchy to the uninformed passers by, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

This is what I look like roaming the neighborhood, but with a headlamp, book and/or beer in tow.  A stocking cap completes the look when it's cold out.

Here is the little guy tucked into the sling under my coat.


The other night I was out walking around, reading my book and the neighbor Adam steps out with his dog Dudley so that Dudley can relieve himself.  As I walk past his steps, Dudley freaks out and starts barking and Adam responds with a very suspicious "hello".  I whisper "it's Steve" to make sure he knows that I'm not some creepy guy walking around with a headlamp in his neighborhood at midnight, but I'm not sure this makes him more or less confused.  I walk past and he takes Dudley out to pee and then sends the dog back in the house.  On my way back past the house Adam comes down to inquire about what the hell I am doing out there at such a crazy hour.  I explain about the schedule and show him the small person tucked into my coat and I think he understands.  I can only imagine the stories he is telling people at this point.

Stanley and I will keep walking the streets of Noe Valley until he decides it is OK to go to sleep during the night time.  So, if you see someone with a lumpy stomach walking around your neighborhood at a strange hour reading a book by headlamp, cut the guy a little slack, will ya?

No comments:

Post a Comment