Monday, February 13, 2012

Once a parent, always a parent

This post was partially written last night and finished right now. 

Once a parent, always a parent. You cannot say time-out to parenting for a few minutes, even when something gets you down. In the morning, I started to feel exhausted. I slept for a few hours. About 2 hours late, Steve said he felt like a train had hit him. Anyways, I was just a few hours ahead of Steve, so he always knew what was coming and it wasn't good.

All this evening and throughout the night, I have been running to the bathroom, then would wash my hands really well and come back, grab Stanley so that Steve could take his turn in the bathroom. It was horrendous. Thank goodness the one time when both of us were vomiting, Stanley was asleep on the couch.

If I put my mothering and no-bad-language away for just a second...this s*cks!


Now its Sunday at 4pm

This was a doosy.  We spent the night up and down being sick. And, Stanley's 16 lbs 8 oz (we weighed him on Saturday) still feels like 50 lbs. In the night, Steve and I could barely standup without it invoking motion sickness and then I'm sure you can guess what comes next. So picking up Stanley seemed a little too risky. And, anyways, neither of us could deal with our energetic little son. So, last night we resorted to giving him Tylenol to keep him asleep. And I never let him watch TV, but today, we put him in his space station and standup thing in front of the TV while Planet Earth was going. He would play by himself and then watch the animals, play by himself and watch TV again.

I think Stanley knows that something is wrong because last night, he was starting to fuss, then he looked at me gave me a smile and was quiet. Poor kid; his parents are a sorry bunch.

So far he has been saved from this horrendous flu; I sure hope it stays like that. Figures crossed and hopefully lots of anti-bodies are in his milk.



1 comment:

  1. Difficult times often call for different responces. That is why one should never say never. Letting a small kid watch TV certainly has its place.
    Glad that you both have recovered and you can return to your usual parenting skills and views.

    ReplyDelete