Thursday, May 10, 2012

The goods and the bads

We try to put fun items onto this blog--it is much more entertaining to read about the good things than hear us complain. However, to be more realistic, I need to write about the last two nights. It has been a rough one for Steve and me.

On Wednesday night, I had a lot of work to do and Steve had to get up very early for an experiment. Steve was getting Stanley's bath ready and I had Stanley up in the front room with me. We have mostly childproofed that room, except for our wine rack. Stanley was playing with his stroller and watching me finish up a few odd'n'ends, when he reached out for the wine bottles. In one split second, he grabbed a bottle of wine and it fell on the marble and shattered all over. Thank gosh it was white wine, but it was all over including a bunch on the carpet. I had already picked him up by the time it shattered, so Stanley was in no risk of getting cut, but boy did we have a lot of clean-up to do. There was shards of glass scattered all about including under the bookcase.

I gave Stanley to Steve for bath-time and I started cleaning up. As I was cleaning, I heard lots of thuds and then some more glass. Stanley has found that he can really do some damage. Apparently in the bathroom he was throwing bottles on the floor and Steve would move them and Stanley would go after them again to throw it on the ground. Then Stanley found the only glass (a thick candle holder) that was in the bathroom in a far off corner and he threw it on the ground. Thank goodness it did not break.

Back in the front room, we had to take everything off the bookcase, move the bookcase, clean and then put it all back. It took us two hours to clean up the mess before we could get Stanley into his crib in the front room.  The house smelled terribly of wine. Halima was staying in our house that night; I was sure she was going to think we sedated Stanley with wine.

Steve and I both needed a glass of wine after that night, but instead we just crawled into bed exhausted without having done our work for the next morning.

Then last night, Stanley had something wrong, gas, teething, who knows. Anyways, he was in pain and would wake up writhing about every 15 minutes. He didn't have a temperature, but boy was he uncomfortable. Even Tylenol didn't help. Even though in the end, Steve and I both took turns sleeping in the living room, I think we are both barely functioning today.

Ugg. Hope you all slept better than us!

2 comments:

  1. omg, that's so terrible: what vintage was it? jk.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This must be the origination of the phrase "keeping us on our toes"...and "the joys of parenthood".

    ReplyDelete