Thursday, October 6, 2011

Street Walker II

I had another strange encounter the other night while walking Stanley around the neighborhood during his "fussy time".  We were walking (very slowly) up and down Church Street, swaying up and down, back and forth trying to keep Stanley contented while I read a book by headlamp to stave off complete boredom.  As we headed back up the street towards our house, a guy on a skateboard went cruising by in the street headed in the opposite direction.  As he passed, he looked at the two of us and gave a double take. 

I didn't think too much of it at first.  I mean, we DO look pretty strange out there walking around late at night.  But then, I saw the same guy cruise back past us headed up the street and then turn onto the sidewalk in front of us.  The exchange went something like this:

Skateboard Guy: "Hey man, what do you got in there?"

Me: "A baby."

Skateboard Guy: not believing me "Huh, I assumed that whatever you were doing out here right now, it must be pretty cool.  So what are you doing?"

Me: "Just trying to keep this kid asleep."  I open my coat and show him Stanley's head in there.

Skateboard Guy: "Oh, so you LEGITIMATELY have a kid in there.  I thought it was something awesome...  Not that that's not awesome...  I mean... Well, have a good night!"  He skates off to the other side of the street.

Just then, his friend flags him down and starts recounting whatever Totally Awesome thing they had been up to that night.  I can see him across the street, talking to his friend and pointing over at Stanley and me.  I can imagine the conversation.  "Dude, see that guy over there?  He's got a kid in his coat..."

I figure both of these guys are having some serious second thoughts about whether they want to have kids at some point or not.  I assume they had an Awesome rest of their evening.  I sauntered on home and Stanley seemed like he was pretty tired.  Awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment